Laser cutting creates highly accurate components quickly and eliminates the need for cleaning or further processing. 5-axis laser cutting produces components that feature even highly complex geometries and is compatible with a diverse variety of substrates. At Metal Craft Spinning & Stamping, our state-of-the-art 5-axis laser cutting equipment is enhanced by decades of industry experience.
Laser cutting is a subtractive manufacturing technique that uses computer numerical control (CNC) software to direct a high-powered laser beam through a material. The laser follows digital design drawings and cuts or etches sheets of material according to its specifications. The result is an incredibly accurate component with minimal waste. Metal Craft Spinning & Stamping provides metal laser cutting services using a Komatsu TLM Series 5-Axis Laser Cutting System.
What is 5-Axis Laser Cutting?
Laser cutting is a highly precise CNC thermal process that cuts, melts, or burns material sheets using a high-powered laser beam. The laser cutting process is ideal for one-off jobs as well as low to medium production volumes due to its high repeatability. Laser cutting is well suited to a variety of materials, including metals, polymers, and wood. It facilitates the production of complex parts without the need for a custom-designed tool.
5-Axis Laser Cutting Process
Laser cutting machines use a motion control system to follow a G-code or CNC pattern that is to be cut into the material. A laser is typically mounted on a gantry system, which allows it to move along an XY axis. From here it can reproduce designs with great accuracy, even when curves and angles are involved. The focused laser beam burns, melts, vaporizes, or is blown away by a jet of gas to leave high-quality surface finished edges. In 5-axis laser cutting, the table can be tilted and rotated to facilitate work on three-dimensional parts, including those that feature extreme angles and curved surfaces.
What Are the Benefits of Laser Cutting?
Compared to other cutting methods, laser cutting offers numerous advantages:
- Low lead times. Laser cutting uses minimal tooling, which greatly reduces lead times. Laser-cut components typically do not require further treating, finishing, or tooling.
- Precision. Lasers deliver unparalleled accuracy, with typical tolerances between 0.003 mm and 0.006 mm.
- Reduce waste. Laser cutters maximize the number of usable components by nesting cuts properly, resulting in minimal waste and reduced material costs over time.
- Causes no damage or warping to materials. The heat-affected zone (HAZ) for laser cutting is very small, typically causing no tolerance issues.
- Versatility. Laser cutting is effective for a diverse variety of tasks, not only cutting through materials. It can also be used to engrave, develop prototypes, and more.
5-Axis Laser Cutting Services from Metal Craft
If you’re looking for laser cutting services, whether it’s a full part or just a piece of a part, Metal Craft has got you covered. Equipped with decades of industry experience and state-of-the-art 5-Axis Laser Cutting equipment, we have the knowledge and skills to deliver precise and accurate metal components that fully meet your needs.
For additional information about our laser cutting or other manufacturing capabilities, contact us or request a quote today. One of our experts will answer and address any questions or concerns you may have about the process or your project.